HEMELVAART BISTRO - AYTON FRANAFEL POP UP KITCHEN






My second ever pop up kitchen was at the wonderfully named Hemelvaart Bistro in Ayton on the Scottish borders. If you ever get the chance to visit this bistro, you won't be disappointed. 

https://www.instagram.com/hemelvaartbc/

Phil the owner, had recommended my pop up kitchen idea to the Hambletonian in Norton and its all started from there really. Phil, I salute you! And John of course (co owner). Thanks Buddy. 

So we decided to do a Friday night and why not? Well we had a gig the next day as Cattle and Cane in the same venue so it was perfect. Great planning aye. Phil also put us up in a lovely cottage for two nights. He really is an angel.


Anyhow I arrived about 7 hrs before we were expecting guests. The journey was 2 hours long and took in some breath taking north east sea views. Perks of the job. 


Being only the second kitchen I have worked in, and within a foreign country (the locals insisted we were in Scotland!) I was a little nervous to say the least. The kitchen was tiny and Phil was still knocking out various dishes for his regulars when I arrived. As you can imagine there were legs and arms tangling on occasions.... a bit like a game of twister at some points. Still, having said that, it was fairly relaxed and a lot of fun!


I decided to repeat my menu from the Hambletonian night as it was received so well....

The staff at the bistro were wonderful and accommodating. They even had a rice cooker which was an absolute God send. On the menu was veggie pathia curry with basmati rice and naan bread. For dessert or is it pudding..... sticky toffee pudding. There's the answer ;)All plant based.


The night went so well and the feedback I was given was excellent. What I love about my pop up kitchen nights is a lot of meat eaters enjoy my food and still feel satisfied and not like they have missed the meat! That's what I'm trying to do...plant based meals can be nutritious AND delicious. I even sold some of my cookies and cookbooks. Great.


Wonderful venue. Wonderful people. Wonderful night and wonderful beer. Great night. 





Comments