HOMEMADE FOCACCIA BREAD

HOMEMADE FOCACCIA BREAD





When I was younger the only baking I would do involved something I could eat before I baked it. Raw sponge mixture more often than not, although strangely, plain sponge mix is better than chocolate sponge mix (IMO). Yes RAW sponge mixture. Surely I'm not the only one....

So as a youngster baking bread never really appealed. Too much effort and not enough cake mixture! Anyway now I'm not a youngster and I appreciate the delights of homemade bread, there is a world of endless possibilities when it comes to baking bread, and that excites me. Edge of your seat stuff yeh.

Focaccia (always struggle with spelling that, among many other words). Still, I survive.

During my tour with http://cattleandcane.co.uk we visited a food festival in Bristol and came across a lady called Lynda who was baking fresh focaccia in front of us.

She was so kind and did a demo for me and the band. I'm the only one yet to give this bread a try!
Check her out and be sure to give her a visit. And if you're going to Glastonbury this year, you will find her there.

I couldn't remember half the steps Lynda showed me so I've come up with my own take on the bread, and I'm pretty chuffed with it.

Get yourself some fresh yeast from asda or tesco to name just two. It's free if you ask nice! Add a golf ball sized amount of yeast to a large metal bowl and add warm water (not too hot not too cold - easy) and a handful of white bread flour and a good glug of nice extra virgin olive oil. I'm generous with the oil but if you're counting calories go easy. Mix well. Leave this liquid batter (it should be wet) for an hour. You should then see bubbles and loveliness.

Add a tablespoon of sea salt. Brings out the flavour right.

Now start adding bread flour and keep mixing with a wooden spoon. The bread I photographed had paprika, chilli powder and sun dried tomatoes added. When the dough starts coming away from the sides of the bowl you are there. A good moment. Not dry and not too sticky. Cover the bowl and let the dough prove for two hours in a warm place. It should double in size.

Knock out the air with a spatula. Now put your dough on a floured work surface and need softly with your finger tips. Don't overdo it. Shape how you like. 1 inch thickness is a good gauge. Put the dough in a lightly oiled baking tray, cover with some clingfilm (oil it so it doesn't stick to the rising dough) and cover and leave to prove for an hour. I like the add a lot of olive oil onto the top of the dough. You should also make cut marks in the surface so it bakes evenly.

There are options to add your own fillings like pesto and/or cheese, herbs, sun dried tomatoes. etc etc
These can go inside the dough and you can parcel the filling into the loaf, or on the surface which is easier!

Bake in a pre-heated fan assisted oven at 220°C for 20 minutes until it is golden brown. Enjoy. Give it a try! So much better than supermarket focaccia.

Instagram // Facebook // Twitter

Comments