SOURDOUGH

SOURDOUGH










Thanks to THE WILD LOAF https://www.facebook.com/thewildloaf/ in Liverpool for their super soft and sexy sourdough AKA THE WILD LOAF. I was in Liverpool kicking off the first gig of CATTLE AND CANE'S http://www.cattleandcane.co.uk UK MIRRORS TOUR 2017. The venue was BUYERS CLUB. It just so happened THE WILD LOAF was next door and they did fantastic Sourdough.........

Sound check was stunningly stress free, which considering it was the first gig of the tour, I was rather delighted. What better way to kill 3 hours than to eat my favourite type of loaf.....

As soon as the tour finished I was back in the kitchen trying my first Sourdough loaf. Rather annoyingly, the recipe I took inspiration from first, required a 5 day LEAVEN process. However massive thanks goes to those fantastically fit twins, THE HAPPY PEAR https://thehappypear.ie/, for their Sourdough recipe. Cheers BOYS! Check out their recipe book (in all good book stores and online) and I believe they have a new book out right now!


I've had some success with focaccia and pitta bread so far. I WILL share those recipes in the very near future :)

So basically after a couple of fails down to me missing key steps (distracted) I have now created a sourdough loaf I am buzzing with, and......... I'm going to share it with you.....

LEAVEN

Get yourself a big glass jar. Use warm water, which has been boiled previously and add 100 g of white bread flour and mix until you have a nice smooth batter. Add the batter to the jar and put a cloth on top and leave for 8-12 hours in a cupboard. After this point give the batter a mix to generate some air.

The following morning repeat the process and add the new batter on top of the first batter. MIX. Repeat the process 3 more times. Do it two more times if you get SICK of waiting!

SOURDOUGH

Add 300g of Leaven to 340g white bread flour into a large bowl. Mix well. Dissolve 1 tsp of salt in 230 ml of warm water and add. Mix with a wooden spoon. You will probably need to add a little more flour until the dough comes away from the sides of the bowl and comes together.

Transfer the dough to a greased baking tray (25 cm x 25 cm x 7 cm depth) and cover with oiled clingfilm. Leave in a warm place until the dough has risen to the top of the tray. You should see air bubbles in the dough and doubled in size. This can take a few hours. Keep an eye on it and as soon as it has reached the top of the tray, bake in a preheated oven at 250° C for 15 minutes and then reduce the temperature to 220° C for 15-20 minutes. It should be golden brown. It's optional but I like to drizzle olive oil on the dough for extra GOODNESS! Leave to cool on a wire rack and then DEVOUR it. 

Previously I have always bought ASDA sourdough batons. NOT ANY MORE! Seriously satisfying :)








Comments