SURFING IN SALTBURN


Surfing in Saltburn


Well I realise I'm a lucky boy in general, but having one of the best surfing spots in the UK on my doorstop is pretty cool. 


Saltburn on sea is a beautiful Victorian town with its own stunning pier (surfers jump off the end of the pier so they don't have to swim out) AND the oldest operating water-balance cliff lift in the world. Thanks Wiki.

I recently lived on the sea front for the best part of three months and spent most of that trying to master surfing. Too tight to pay for lessons I resorted to youtube videos and plenty of practice. So as you do, I decided to buy a surfboard on a whim without trying it out. Big mistake! Anyway at least I met a lovely fella called John in Sheffield and sealed the deal.

One year on from that decision I still couldn't pop up (a fancy name for being able to stand on a surfboard and ride a wave). Strangely though I never gave up, even though I was getting totally frustrated and disillusioned. I basically like being in the water and the endorphin rush of being immersed in the north sea. Total buzz. Before you ask it can be freezing, but yes I do have a winter wet suit.

So after meeting a couple of lovely fellow surfers (actually I can't really include myself in the surfer bracket) I soon realised my board wasn't very good. I recall Chloe trying it out and saying this board is horrible! So I sold it. My old board was 8 ft 4 inches and I decided to hire a 9 ft longboard from the lovely guys at Saltburn Surf School. Chris, Nick and Zoee are great guys. After one session with this particular board I almost popped up. Second session I popped up, surfed my first wave, and felt great. I wouldn't class myself as a surfer but I can only improve now right??? So now THE PLAN is to travel the world and visit all the best surf spots. HAWAII HELLO!!










































Comments